Node.js is growing fast and is quickly becoming one of the most popular runtimes. To meet the growing need of developers who want to run their Node.js apps on our platform, we are glad to announce our official support for the Node.js buildpack on the cloudControl platform. With this release, Node.js becomes the 5th officially supported cloudControl buildpack in addition to Java, PHP, Ruby, and Python.
What has changed with official support?
Although it was possible before to run Node.js applications on the platform using a third-party buildpack, it is now available as an officially supported buildpack. This means that we make sure the buildpack is safe, functional, and up to date – and we can offer our customers expert support for any questions and issues. It also means we have resources available in our dev center to help you get started.
Core buildpack features
The Node.js buildpack includes several features, but here are some core ones:
- Dependency tracking - The Node.js buildback manages dependencies using npm.
- Event-driven, non-blocking IO - This IO model makes the Node.js buildpack lightweight and efficient, perfect for interactive apps running on a cloud platform.
- Seamless execution - With a single line of code, developers can get their buildpack up and running on the cloudControl platform.
What kind of apps can you build with the Node.js buildpack?
With Node.js, you can build awesome apps on the cloudControl platform such as:
- Streaming data apps - Streaming apps need to quickly ingest data from thousands of data sources. They need a solution like Node.js that can handle very high data throughput rates, up to millions of events or messages per second.
- Communication apps - Node.js is also commonly used for building online communication apps like chat services.
How can you get started?
Getting started with the cloudControl Node.js buildpack is easy. Sign up for a free account on cloudControl today and deploy your first Node.js Hello World app. We love to hear your feedback, so let us know what you think in the comments. We look forward to seeing the cool apps you build. Good luck!